Popular Posts

Monday, July 18, 2011

Beyond Method 5~~~ Social Cataloging and Libraries

  1. Blog about your experiences (make sure you include Beyond Method #5 in the title).  Do you think Goodreads and LibraryThing could be effective readers advisory tools?
I have used Goodreads and LibraryThing in the past.  After I graduated from library school I pretty much took a break from most social computer sites.  I used them throughout school and would have preferred never seeing a computer again after so many hours working in front of it doing school work.  I liked LibraryThing so much that I became a lifetime member, bought a scanner so I could read the barcodes of my books and enter them in easily etc.  I currently have 322 books cataloged on LibraryThing and after working through this step want to go home and add the 100 or so books that have not been entered since I last logged in.  Surprising to me...I have a Goodreads account that I must have tried out at some time because there I have 187 books listed.  For this exercise I thought I would add a book to both accounts that I just finished reading to see which site was easier to use or which site I would like to continue to use.  I'd like to go back to cataloging all the books I have and want to read.  I added The Gap Year by Sarah Bird to each site.  Here are some of my observations:

Goodreads:
Easily found my book.
Took a long time to load my book covers.
Took a long time to click on a book to see details.
Can't tag (or can't easily tag because I didn't see a place for this).
More of a review site.
Sets up "bookshelves" based on To-Read, Read or Currently Reading which are defaults or user can enter their own.
Can rate the book.
Major noticable downfall...very slow in loading time.

LibraryThing
Didn't take long to load but the search feature is not quite as easy to use as Goodreads.
Can tag and I do tag each book I enter. 
Downfall about tagging- you have to remember the words you have used for the tags if you want consistency.
Lets you recommend and review and rate the books.

I think I still like LibraryThing.  I have the lifetime membership that was paid for years ago and will probably continue to use this. I am pretty sure you can export your titles and I would be able to import them to Goodreads but the slow loading time is just not something my slow (home) computer needs.

I can see using one of more of these sites for Readers Advisory. As one of the examples we were shown (Readers Advisory) it take a bit of work to use a social cataloging site to actually work well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment